During my writing career there are a few things that crop up which get in the way. Family, unsuspected circumstances and plot bunnies. As a writer yourself you'll probably experience them yourself . However today I am only here to talk about one of those items and it's the one that find me the most; Plot Bunnies.
Now I know that some of you will be wondering what a plot bunny actually is, so here's the definition for you.
"A plot bunny is a story idea that refuses to go away until it is written. The term's origin is unknown but is known to predate NaNoWriMo. Because plot bunnies tend to multiply quickly, the term is thought to be related to the oft-quoted John Steinbeck quote about ideas and rabbits." - retrieved from wikiwrimo.org
For me it's more of an idea that appears while I'm working on something and won't go away until I have at least got down the basics.
5 tips for catching plot bunnies
1. Your Phone; probably my biggest asset as a writer is my phone because no matter where I am I can pick it up and add a note to evernote which syncs with my laptop ready for when I get home. Perfect.
2. Notebook; I carry around a notebook with me at all times too. My phone might die or if I am somewhere where phones aren't meant to be used (doctors waiting room, work etc.) then I can still jot down the idea before it escapes my memory!
3. Paper; Although I have a notebook sometimes at work it is MUCH easier to just grab some paper jot the idea down and stuff it in my pocket. I actually have an array of notes that I need to sort through. Try to avoid this method unless you really have too!
4. Plot Bunny Catcher; I created this set of worksheets to aide in the transfer of the plot bunny catching. Use these worksheets by jotting down all the information you have on your idea and then keeping it in a folder ready for when you can start the project. Just sign up to receive access to the Novelista Collective and download immediately! It's free!
5. Memory; Unlike me if you can commit to keeping the idea in memory I salute you. This is what some of the big authors do, but honestly not something I could do myself so for now I'll just keep my ideas in my plot bunny catcher and ready, waiting for my to write.
What do you use to stop plot bunnies coming your way? Leave them in the comments below!